Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ughh! Traffic Court...

If you have ever been to traffic court, you know that it is not a fun experience! Today I had to go to court for a ticket that I received almost two years ago. I did not believe that the ticket was fair because it was for not changing the address on my driver's license. I did not know that this was against the law until I got that ticket. In other cities all you have to do is change your address at the DMV and they will usually dismiss your ticket. That is not how the Mesquite tickets work. The only way to have it dismissed is to go to court.
Today I didn't think that I would have any problems. I figured I would just explain to the judge that I was not aware of the law, and that I had had it changed the very next day. Boy was I wrong. I didn't have a prayer because the officer came to court. When the officer is there the judge automatically finds you guilty. There were about ten other people there with tickets from the same officer. No one left that court room happy! I was especially peeved because that ticket was $163! Word to the wise, change the address on your driver's license when you move.

No comments: