Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Rough Week

This has been a rough week for me. Monday and Tuesday I did not have good classes to sub for. It may have been because the kids were so little, but it was hard to get them to listen. One of the girls in my class at school has the same age group on a daily basis. She has what she calls 30 minute talk time for her class every morning. I thought this was an ingenious idea, because part of the problem that I had was that the kids would all run up to me at once to tell me something. The other problem is that they constantly tattled! I have a pet peeve about tattling.
Yesterday was much better. I had a 4th grade class and they were really sweet. They were working really hard because if they were good they got to eat lunch with their teacher the next day. It was so nice to be able to tell them something and they just did it without arguing or talking. At the end of the day they asked me if they had earned lunch with their teacher. I told them that they did. They were so excited, and they told me Mrs. Elam you are awesome! I told them that they were the ones who did awesome, and thanked them so much for giving me a good day. It was a welcome change. When you are a substitute every day is different. It reminds me of a saying that used to be our slogan on mission trips, "Remember Be Flexible!"

No comments: